|Jewish Released Time||Holidays Shabbat Chabad-houses Chassidism Subscribe Calendar Links|
|Volume 4, No. 22||Welcome to the World of Rabbi Riddle.|
In the Torah Portion of Yisro, G-d gives the 10 Commandments to the Jewish people at Mount Sinai. According to our sages, Yisro, Moshe's father-in-law, was a High Priest of idol worship who came to realize that these beliefs are false and converted to Judaism. Jews do not try to persuade others to convert. But we do welcome sincere converts like Yisro, who come on their own!
- At the Giving of the Torah, all Jewish people were considered like converts!
- To convert, a man must have a bris (ritual circumcision), accept upon himself all the laws and practices of Judaism, and immerse in a mikveh (ritual bath). A woman similarly must agree to follow all the laws of Judaism and immerse in a mikveh.
- Rabbi Shimon Ben Lakish said, "If one wrongs a convert, it is as if he wrongs G-d!"
Rabbi Riddle's Kwazy Kwestions:
- Why do converts make better basketball players?
- Because our sages say that converts who accept Torah on their own stand higher than the Israelites who accepted the Torah amid the thunder and lighting at Mount Sinai!
|Awake and Sing!|
| About |